Friday, January 6, 2012

The weekend is here...


So, it’s 6 days into the New Year; how are your New Year’s resolutions treating you? Or should I say, how are you treating your New Year’s resolutions? Typically most resolutions don’t make it past January! If your “resolution” was to “live healthy”, “eat right”, “start exercising”, etc…I am going to tell you to change your mindset from “this is my New Year’s resolution” to simply stating, “I am now planning my meals” or “I am now exercising 30 minutes a day”. Period. If you change your way of thinking, you are much more likely to stick with this and not make it a short-term endeavor which most “resolutions” are.

Listen, I know it’s hard. I know it sucks at times. It’s not fun to count calories. It’s a lot of work to exercise and, on top of that, keep track of what you’re eating, but nobody ever said that it is or would be easy. BUT the results will knock you off of your feet! Within the past 2 days, I know of 2 different people who have had heart attacks. From what I understand, neither of them had any clue that they had issues with their hearts. DON’T let it get to that point. Take action now and move.

With that said, the weekend is upon us. I love the weekends because I don’t have to get dressed up to go to work, I can spend time with my little boy and I get to see friends and/or relax a little. On the other hand though, for those of us that struggle with “counting calories” or fitting in exercise, the weekends can COMPLETELY throw us off. Am I right? Can I get an AMEN?!?!

So, keep your goals in the forefront of your mind. I HIGHLY recommend you go out to Target, Wal-Mart, Barnes and Noble, wherever and purchase the handy-dandy- pocket-book-sized Calorie King calorie book. It will tell you things like the following:

  • According to CalorieKing.com, a basic martini-sized glass--usually 3 to 4 measly oz.--of an apple martini contains 235 calories. A cosmopolitan is 213 calories. And who has just one? We all know that once you have one, your guard is let down and guess what…you have another. Add another 235 calories and you’re up to 470! Then what happens? Your guard is let down even more and you just can’t resist the chips and dip that are sitting on the counter; add another 300 calories!Now, I’m not saying to be a “stick in the mud” and not enjoy yourself, so here are some other nice cocktails that you could enjoy with fewer calories. A soda water and vodka (I like grape flavored), only 100 calories! I alternate between the cocktail and water. I find that having something in my hand at all times is helpful, so if it’s water, that’s even better! (Note: I don’t do tonic and vodka because the tonic adds about 70 calories.) When you’re done with your beverage, pop a piece of gum in your mouth. It helps; at least for me it does.

  • My all time favorite cocktail is a deliciously fantastic chocolate martini! Alas, these are so bad for you. A chocolate martini can contain as many as 430 calories for a tiny 3- to 4-oz. glass. BUMMER! I save these for occasions like my birthday or an anniversary. That’s just me though and you may be thinking that I’m “depriving” myself of something I enjoy, but I really feel that I’m making smart choices based on what I need to do for myself to get to where I want to be with my weight. You have to make those adjustments too to accomplish your goals. Again, nobody ever said it was going to be easy, but you will be dancing down the aisles of TJ Maxx when you can go get new clothes because all of your old stuff is falling off of your skinny ass :)

So, make wise choices and stick to your meal plan this weekend and in weekends to come. Still prepare your meals and journals the night before if that works for you. Be cognizant of what you put in your mouth and try not to “save your calories for the night”. You will end up overeating when night comes. I promise you that! Make a plan and stick to it! When you do, you will wake up the next day and be proud that you did.

I am by no means (at all) perfect on the weekends. I have a fantastic 30th birthday for a dear friend coming up soon and it will prove to be a great time! However, always in the back of my mind is “what am I going to do to be sure I (obviously) have a great time, but still remain within my calories?” Well, that day I will be sure to get my 30 minutes over with in the morning. I will stick with my meal plan throughout the day and I will allot for two (yes two) soda water and vodka drinks. That means I have to allot for 200 extra calories that night. You CAN still enjoy yourself and remain in control.

Many people say to cut out alcohol all-together. Great in theory, but probably not very “do-able” for many people who like a nice beverage in the company of good friends. So again, enjoy your weekend and kick butt in your workouts and don’t lose site of your end goals. Don’t.

So here is what I had today:

Breakfast: 12 oz coffee w/ 2 sugar packets and 1/4 cup skim milk (48 calories) 2 slices Ezekiel bread w/ slice of avocado, 1 whole egg and 2 other egg whites only & 1 slice Boar's Head American cheese (361 calories)

Snack: Wallaby organic yogurt with 1/4 oz chia seeds (185 calories)

Lunch: Spicy Shrimp sushi with 4 oz asparagus (255 calories)

Snack: Kashi banana chocolate chip bar (140 calories)

Dinner: 4 chicken dumplings w/ 5 0z sweet potato (baked) with salsa on top (420 calories)

Total for today: 1408 :)

And my exercise: will be completed at 7:30. It will consist of another heart pounding, jumping, twisting, crazy Insanity workout. I don't waaaannnt to do it, but I must do it!

(Tomorrow I will post a few at-home exercise circuits that you can do!)

Quotes of the day: “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” –Dale Carnegie

And a few from one of the (arguably) best coaches to ever coach football, Vince Lombardi: “A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive, and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done.” Very relevant to this blog post!

Another from Vince Lombardi, “If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives.”

Have a great weekend!

P.S For those of you who may still be on the fence about all of this exercise and calorie counting stuff...I went to get a new pair of jeans today; I LOATHE clothes shopping ESPECIALLY shopping for jeans. It depresses me quite frankly, but NOT TODAY!!! 3 1/2 months ago I was a size 14! Today I left that store with a size 8 baby!! Can I get a WOOT WOOT!! :) You will have the same results; just take the necessary steps to get there. Promise!

P.S.S. I love getting all the emails and private FB messages I've been getting! Keep them coming! My email is theflower4@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment