Wednesday, February 22, 2012

So what!!......is in your salad??

So, yes...I've been MIA lately! Sorry:( I guess I was at a point where I did not have any ideas of what I wanted to write about. UNTIL I was in the kitchen at work the other day. I was measuring my salad dressing because I didn't want any more than the serving size of 2 tablespoons. Two tablespoons of this particular dressing (Amy's organic balsamic vinagrette) had 100 calories. Someone walked in and said, "Wow! You're good! I just dump mine on there."

This statement my friends is what is wrong. Most people don't watch their portion sizes. Some people just don't care, which is not good in and of itself, but many people just don't realize just how important watching portions sizes really is.

Good for you if you're eating a salad for lunch! Perhaps you put PLAIN tuna on yours like I do. (Mayonnaise has 57 calories in 1 tablespoon...YUCK!) Do you measure your dressing? Too much dressing can really put a damper on your calorie count of what could have been a good, healthy, moderate calorie lunch. Same goes for nuts that you put on your salad or how about those dried cranberries or that feta cheese? Did you know that 1 cubic inch (.6 oz) of feta has 45 calories? Now...figure that most people are putting at least 2 oz on their salad...that's 150 calories with JUST the feta on the salad. I'm not saying to not put feta on there; I'm saying measure it. It's a pain in the royal butt, BUT there is purpose to it and it works! I am in no way telling you to not eat salad; I am telling you to be wise and conscious of what you are putting on your salad. Don't sabotage a good thing! When you see that you've used 1/3 of the bottle of dressing for one salad; it's probably too much.

So, how have you all been doing? Can you believe that February is almost over? We are just about to start the third month of 2012! Have you been sticking to your new lifestyle of eating right and exercising? If not, why not? What is stopping you?

So how am I doing you may be asking? I'm still counting and exercising. I'm about 3 weeks away from being done with Insanity and I can't wait hahaha:) Not that I don't LOVE sweating my butt off, wanting to vomit, gasping for breathe and loving how I feel when I'm DONE, but I just want to be done with the program so that I can move on to the next phase of my training and be able to say that I finished Insanity!

I've only lost about another pound, but I know why...my wine consumption. I haven't been counting my wine calories. I've been turning a blind eye to it and I can't keep doing that. I typically have a glass and a half every other night with dinner and I don't log those calories. Therefore, I have given it up for Lent. As you may know, Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline. The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ - his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection. http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/qt/whatislent.htm I'm looking forward to this connection and to seeing how my body reacts and transforms over the next 40 days.

Stay tuned because I will soon be writing a post with another at home workout for you to try! Don't forget that February is heart health month, so treat your heart right! Make sure you're getting your 30 minutes of exercise each day!!

Quote of the day: "Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try." ~Unknown~

GET AT IT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment